Application of Hydraulic Ram
- This hydraulic ram is any pump that raises water without any external power during its operation.
- When a large quantity of water is available at a small height a small quantity of water can remain raised to a greater height with the help of hydraulic ram.
- It works at the principle of a water hammer.
|Image Source ~ Crafted With ©Ishwaranand – 2020 ~ Image by ©Ishwaranand|
Fig. The hydraulic ram
- Fig. shows some main components of the hydraulic ram.
- While the inlet valve fitted into this supply pipe is opened water starts dripping from the supply tank to this chamber which has two valves at B also C. The valve B is called a waste valve also valve C is called the delivery valve.
- That valve C is filled into an air vessel.
- Being the water is coming inside the chamber from the supply tank the level of water rises in the chamber including waste valve B starts moving upward.
- Each stage comes when the waste valve B suddenly closes.
- That sudden closure of the waste valve creates high pressure inside the chamber.
- That high-pressure force opens every delivery valve C.
- Some water from the chamber enters the air vessel and also compresses the air inside the air vessel.
- Here compressed air exerts a force on the water in some air vessels including a small quantity of water is raised to a greater height as shown in Fig.
- During the water in the chamber loses its momentum, the waste valve B opens in the downward direction including the flow of water from the supply tank starts flowing to the chamber also the cycle will be repeated.
Last updated on Sunday - May 21st, 2023